ITREB for Salamieh, Syria is currently accepting applications against the position of Executive Officer (EO).
The Executive Officer (EO) of the ITREB for Syria is a staff executive with the Board whose purpose is to achieve strategic long term and short terms goals of the organization, in order to fulfil its Constitutional mandate and assisting the Board in achieving the strategic long-term goals of the Institution, in keeping with the Constitutional mandate of the ITREB.
Working closely with and reporting to the Chairman or his / her delegate(s), the EO is responsible for the operational management and implementation of the strategic vision and direction of ITREB Syria. The role takes the lead in planning and directing all policies, objectives, and initiatives of ITREB Syria.
The EO provides direction to all ITREB’s academic, administrative and programme staff and is responsible for their performance and professional development. As a leader, the EO inspires and motivates staff in order that they are self driven, high performing individuals. He / she oversees the interface between the volunteers and staff, and manages its operations, secretariat and staff at the jurisdiction level.
The EO serves as a repository of the institutional memory and is a key point of reference for the continuity of the functions, operations and services of ITREB Syria through various Board transitions to any new term of office.
The Executive Officer shall report to the Chairman or his / her delegate(s) of ITREB Syria and will be based in Salamieh, Syria.
Key Duties and Responsibilities
- To fulfill this role, the EO shall undertake the following tasks, responsibilities and deliverables: ITREB Secretariat:
- Work with the Board to ensure efficient and effective performance of the administrative, fiscal, and programmatic deliverables of the Institution.
- Participate in / contribute to the development of strategic plans. Translate the strategic goals into operational plans, programme activities, financial budgets and other performance metrics. Oversee the preparation of the annual objectives, strategies and budgets.
- Analyse and prepare quarterly, mid-year and annual reports on the progress and results of programme and administrative activities and submit them to the Board. Ensure the accuracy of reports on access, expenditure of financial resources and programme / operational reporting and procurement. Ensure that administrative, financial and reporting procedures such as Monthly Requisitions, maintaining Bank Accounts, Programmatic procedures, including any others related matters are adhered to.
- Ensure all correspondence (from DJI, IIS, ITREBs, Council, etc.) is reviewed and draft responses put for consideration by the Chairman and/or Honorary Secretary.
- Participate in Board meetings. Ensure timely preparation and circulation of meeting agendas and minutes, and follow-up of matters arising.
- Administer and manage the activities of the ITREB’s secretariat.
- Serve as the Institutional memory and the point of reference for the continuity of the functions, operations, and services of the ITREB. Coordinate the transition and handover process from one leadership team to the next, during the appointment cycles.
Human Resource Management:
- Ensure that the ITREB’s organizational infrastructure and deployment of its human resources are aligned with Board’s approved operating plans.
- To work in close collaboration with the STEP Teacher to ensure that the mandate of the STEP programme is appropriately imparted and the Access hours are offered to the eligible Secondary Student population.
- Acting as a leading professional role model, continually improve his/her own skills, attitudes and knowledge, and facilitate learning in others, in line with the Institutional vision.
- Encourage and support the spirit of volunteerism within the community in keeping with our traditions.
Programme Oversight and Management:
- Analyze the needs and make recommendations to improve implementation of the programmes and activities related to the religious education of the community.
- To ensure that the overall and specific targets for access to quality religious education for the various segments of the community are achieved and improved upon. This includes timely reporting on a quarterly basis to DJI on RE.
- Responsible for maintaining credible and updated Management Information System in respect of all the functions of ITREB and provide analytical reports, enabling better awareness as well as newer initiatives taken by the Board.Manage the ITREB’s educational system to ensure its efficiency and effectiveness. The Library operations and the ITREB Stall to be managed in an efficient and effective manner.
- Work closely and collaboratively with counterparts at the National Council, GRB, National CAB to ensure synergy in programmatic and administrative activities and support the implementation of crossinstitutional initiatives (such as capacity-building).
- Provide support to the Board by building strong relationships with the DJI, Institute of Ismaili Studies, AKDN agencies in-country, and with other ITREBs in the region and internationally.
- Any assignment in addition to above as requested by the Office Bearers, and will maintain close liaison with all the National Board members.
Profile: Qualifications, Experience, Skills and Attributes
- The candidate must have a minimum of 3 years’ of experience in a management position preferably in an education or non-profit context. The EO acts in a leadership capacity to the professional and voluntary staff and is a representative of ITREB Syria. The candidate must have the necessary skills to take on this role and have the ability to lead teams and develop ITREB Syria staff; and, from time to time, to represent the ITREB in various national and international fora. The role requires strengths in strategic thinking as well as operational management.
- A Master’s degree in management, business administration, education administration or related field is a minimum requirement.
- Must have excellent verbal and written communication skills in English (will be requested to submit writing samples).
- Candidate should be personally committed to the substance of the community Institutions’ mission, value and ethics.
- Candidate should possess an understanding and appreciation community institutional processes, including the understanding of working within the voluntary leadership; must have a strong passion to make substantial contribution to the progress of the community and its institutions.
- Candidate should have the ability to deal with confidential matters discreetly and should approach executive responsibilities within the highest degree of personal and professional integrity, empathy and sensitivity.
Skills and Attributes:
- Familiarity with and empathy for the community including cultural diversity within the community.
- Deep sense of responsibility, sound judgement and discretion.
- Good inter-personal skills in dealing with senior leaders, volunteers and staff in the system.
- Demonstrated ability to build strong, supportive, and collaborative working relationships with internal team members, and leaders.
- Proven ability to lead and motivate professional and volunteer team members from diverse backgrounds. Demonstrated experience in successfully managing projects and capacity to be effective through collaboration and teamwork.
- Well-organized, goal-oriented, data-driven, self motivated, able to multi-task, pays attention to detail, a “can do” attitude and a problem-solving mindset.
- A track record of delivering projects and results within deadlines. Sensitivity to budgetary prudence and an entrepreneurial approach in optimizing the use of resources.
- Good analytical and financial skills. Comfort in working with financial information, budgets, non-financial metrics and their interpretation.
- Experience in setting, attainin, and/or measuring performance indicators and outcomes.
- Excellent written and verbal communication and presentation skills. An ability to articulate papers / reports that are concise and coherent.
- Comfort with public speaking in front of small groups and wider audiences.
- Proficiency in Word, PowerPoint, Excel and database management.
- Arabic is required or a willingness to learn the language.
- Community institutional and volunteer experience.
- Awareness of the provisions of the Constitution of the community and prior exposure to the community religious education system.
- A background in education, Islamic Studies, humanities, HR Management / organizational development and / or an accounting designation.
Travel and Schedule:
- Candidate may be required to travel and will have flexible work weeks, including working evenings and weekends.
Interested applicants are requested to submit a cover letter and CV for consideration prior to the deadline at the above given email address.