National Council for Salamieh, Syria is currently accepting applications against the position of Executive Officer(EO).
The Executive Officer (EO) is the senior-most member of the Council’s staff. Under the supervision of the Council, he/she plays a leadership role in assisting the Council to fulfill its mandate.
He/she is responsible for directing the Council’s administrative and programmatic staff, and driving the implementation of its programs and activities to achieve its strategic goals and with the goal of making the Council and organization that applies best practices in all aspects of its work. The EO will enable / support / realize the achievement of the NC’s ambitious objectives. He/she oversees the interface between the volunteers and staff and manages the secretariat and staff and its operations and any related legal entity’s administrative/financial functions.
The Executive Officer shall report to the President or his / her delegate(s) of the National Council (NC) and will be based in Salamieh, Syria.
The EO will take the responsibility for developing, maintaining and managing an efficient and effective secretariat to support the following functions and responsibilities.
- Administration & Support: Responsible and accountable to the National Council, through the President or his / her delegate(s) , for the short- and long-term planning, organization, management, implementation, control, and administration of the Council’s operations in keeping with direction from the Department of community Institutions (DJI). Accountable to the President or his/her delegate(s) for all operations and programs of the Council and its Boards / Local Councils: as an example, plan and coordinate institutional meetings, proposing agendas reflecting issues, opportunities, and priorities.
- Performance Monitoring: Monitor the outcomes achieved from all activities governed by the National Council to ensure progress towards targets: as an example, ensure that programs and activities of the Council and its Boards / Local Councils are at all times directed to the achievement of approved objectives. Contribute to the refinement of monitoring tools and mechanisms. Apprise the National Council of budget, schedule, and outcome variances in program execution. Provide to the President or his/her delegate(s) corrective actions to align programs and activities with stated objectives and strategies.
- Human Resource Management: Responsible for management of professional and administrative personnel of the National Council, in accordance with authorized policies and procedures: as an example, ensure that individual roles and responsibilities of Secretariat staff are clear and understood, and that accountability mechanisms are in place.
- Information Resource Management: Collaborate with the Council and its Boards / Local Councils on the short- and long-term management and information reporting needs in the areas of social governance and institutional strengthening: as an example, contribute to the design and use of management databases and reports, including rigorous data analysis.
- Reporting: Prepare all reports, including mid-year reports, year-end reports, OSBs and any and all other reporting requirements in consultation with the Council and its Boards / Local Councils: as an example, prepare such technical papers, proposals, and reports as the Council may direct from time to time.
- Finance: Oversee the annual budget process by working closely with the FO who is accountable for the National Council’s finance function. Manage financial resources within budgetary guidelines and in accordance with current laws and regulations: as an example, maintain financial control and discipline over the Council’s finances, including all expenditures and funding for programmatic, operating and capital investments.
- Institutional Collaboration: Facilitate communication and collaboration with and among community and AKDN institutions to address the needs of the collective institutions and the goals of the Council: as an example, establish liaison and good rapport with ITREB, CAB, and GRB, and ensure that all their requirements are duly complied with by the Council and its sub-institutions.
- Community and Public Relations: Contribute on strategic policy issues, community needs, community perceptions, while exercising such executive functions and authorities as may be delegated by the Council Executive from time to time: as an example, ensure that the National Council and its affiliated institutions’ mission and services are consistently presented in strong, positive image to relevant stakeholders.
Profile: Qualifications, Experience, Skills and Attributes
- Candidate should have developed professionally through progressively responsible management experience of at least 5 years in a complex organization in a medium / large size organization preferably in a corporate and/or non-profit environment.
- Bachelor’s degree from an internationally recognized university, preferably in management, business administration or related field is a minimum requirement.
- Must have excellent verbal and written communication skills in English (will be requested to submit writing samples).
- Candidate should be personally committed to the substance of the community Institutions ’mission, values, and ethics.
- Candidate should possess an understanding and appreciation of community institutional processes, including the understanding of working within the voluntary leadership; must have a strong passion to make substantial contribution to the progress of the community and its institutions.
- Candidate should have the ability to deal with confidential matters discreetly and should approach executive responsibilities with the highest degree of personal and professional integrity, empathy, and sensitivity.
Skills and Attributes:
- Familiarity with and empathy for the community, including cultural diversity within the Community
- Deep sense of responsibility, sound judgement and discretion.
- Goal-oriented, data-driven, with a positive ‘can-do’ attitude and strong problem-solving
- Demonstrated ability to build strong, supportive, and collaborative working relationships with internal team members, the leaders and members of stakeholder organizations.
- Proven ability to lead and motivate professional and volunteer team members from diverse backgrounds.
- Experience in writing actionable reports within deadlines that build on input from multiple stakeholders, crafting proposals and related presentations, and developing other documentation.
- Experience in setting, attaining, and/or measuring performance indicators and outcomes.
- Experience in working with databases and manipulating data.
- Good analytic and financial skills.
- Experience in preparing budgets, coordinating the preparation of annual audits.
- Comfort with public speaking in front of small groups and wider audiences.
- Proficiency in Word, PowerPoint, Excel and database management.
- Provide support and guidance to the Board Chairs and Portfolio Heads as and when required, so that the work of the institutions is seamless and effective.
- Arabic is required or a willingness to learn the language.
- Community institutional and volunteer experience.
- Professional qualification in project management, data analysis, finance or accounting.
- Master’s degree.
- Travel and Schedule
- Candidate may be required to travel and will have flexible work weeks, including working evenings and weekends.
Interested applicants are requested to submit a cover letter and CV for consideration prior to the deadline at the above given email address.